My kitten, does he think I'm his Mom?

My 16th birthday was in August, and for my present my family picked out this beautiful two month old Balinese kitten.

The day I met him, Dexter, he’s wanted to nurse on me. My lip, my ear, or my neck. I didn’t have the heart to pull away because he’s a little baby, and I have this feeling he was taken away from his mom too early. Ever since day one, he follows me around, cries when I’m not around, or sleeps next/on me. Could he possibly think I’m his mother? He isn’t always the happiest kitty when other people hold him or pet him, but always wants me.

I’ve researched his breed, (Siamese Family), and they are supposed to be very talkative and will attach onto usually one person.

Here are some pictures of him, just in case you’re interested. The first picture is when he was just a little baby, the second is him on my lap while I’m on the computer, and the third is better picture of how he looks now.

I usually hold his paws so he doesn’t scratch me, and he always purrs when he wants to/or is doing it. I don’t mind him doing it, I find it adorable :) I just wanted to know why he does haha!

Other Kitten Sites Online

8 Responses to My kitten, does he think I'm his Mom?
  1. Percy-and-Penny
    May 16, 2010 | 10:49 pm

That’s because he wasn’t weaned when you got him.

What sort of breeder was this? Were they selling TICA, CFA and/or ACFA registered animals? Reputable breeders NEVER sell kittens before they’re weaned. They wait till the kittens are fully weaned and at LEAST ten weeks old. Are you sure this kitten is really a Balinese? Did you get papers?

2. kari-bear
    May 16, 2010 | 10:49 pm

What a cutie-He’s gorgeous!!! We’ll never know for sure what are cats are thinking, but I believe my two cats think I’m their mother. They are brothers and my Felix sounds a lot like your cat. He likes to knead on me (doesn’t do it to my hubby) and "kiss" my face and hands. I don’t let him knead on my bare skin, but if I have a quilt that I can snuggle under I usually let him "have at it". And he does the same thing–really loud purrs and he wants to be petted as he is kneading.

I think if it gives him some comfort, it’s my duty as a good "mommy" to tolerate it. Sounds like you are a good mommy too :)

3. Suspiria Doll
    May 16, 2010 | 10:49 pm

Sounds like he’s being super affectionate. Usually baby kittens act like ..well babies! We don’t know for sure if they think you are their mother. But they do become quite attached and loyal.

Those pictures are sooo cute!!!!!!!

I have 3 cats and each one seems to stick to 1 member of my family. The kitten who is 6 months old stays with me mostly. She nibbles my ear, my chin and will swat my eye when she wants to be petted. little brat! She also only does this when she is purring.. She also cries sometimes too, I think because she’s a baby and they love attention.

4. 103.7 kiss
    May 16, 2010 | 10:49 pm

he does think ur his mom, my cat used to do that too. but once it gets older it will stop doing that.

and ur cat scratches u cuz it comforts his claw muscle but he will also stop doing that at an older age

5. Ocimom
    May 16, 2010 | 10:49 pm

Siamese are very people-oriented and love to be with you. Whether or not he thinks you are his mom we’ll never know. He’s a very pretty seal point.

6. Sandy
    May 16, 2010 | 10:49 pm

Hi.

He’s adorable! Kittens that are separated from their mothers too early will do this, mine does it every dawn, the worst for me are his little nails and the scratches I get when he does it. He is basically mimicking what he did on his mother when he was nursing and it makes them feel calmer and happier, mine usually purrs really loud while doing this.

It may pass with time, it may not. If you don’t like it, get a warm pillow or one of those water bags at a mild temperature or put a clock under a pillow. Both of these might make him go there instead.

7. kelly e
    May 16, 2010 | 10:49 pm

Adorable.

I adopted two kittens last March and they love me too. They follow me around and every night cuddle – it’s really adorable and I am not sure if they think I am there mom or not but I think they find comfort in knowing I feed them and love them back.
    They used to lay on my husbands lap top next to me when they were tiny and now lay on the back of my office chair.

Be thankful cats have their own personality – it’s nice when they are attached to you instead of the type to be to them self.

8. Sjenda
    November 1, 2011 | 2:23 am

My kitten is part Siamese as well. He was given to me about 6 weeks from the lady across the street. He is every playful and talkative and if I shut myself in the room he meows and tries to stick his arm through. He likes all the people I bring him around too. He likes to play with this stuffed toy cow.
    your the closest thing he has to a mom if you take the most care of him.