How can I convince my parents to get me a kitten/cat?

Well my mom doesn’t want a cat because of the smell. That is the only reason. She also probably thinks that i can’t take care of cats. I know she enjoys cats because every time i show her a picture or a funny cat video for example, a cat playing a piano. Both my mom and grandma think they will cause a bad smell and i keep telling my mom they don’t (well do they?) but anyways my friend has one and she says they don’t smell…PLEASE HELP ME! I KNOW I CAN TAKE CARE OF IT!!!!…

13 Responses to How can I convince my parents to get me a kitten/cat?
  1. Tilli M
    May 8, 2010 | 10:17 am

My mother HATES cats. She doesn’t have a sense of smell, but she cannot stand them. I’ve been asking for a cat since I was tiny (I was one and a half the first time I asked for one), and every single christmas or birthday I’ve been hoping for one. Fourteen years of wanting and getting nothing I gave up…but this Christmas I got one! :D :D:D But I think she got it because my stepfather and my brother wanted one as well so… I dunno. I’ve also wanted a dog forever, and since I’m good with the cat, shes considering getting me one.

I’d just suggest that your really responsible and show how much you want one without nagging. If you could (discretely) convince her that you’d clean up after it and so prevent it from smelling she might be more likely to give in…

2. loriena_7x7
    May 8, 2010 | 10:17 am

cat dont smell. they are easy to take care of and a joy to have. im curently working on my parents about a dog but because we have 3 cats we cannot get one. u do need to get a litter box.

3. ASTRONOMER
    May 8, 2010 | 10:17 am

i think you should prove your parents that you can take care of one ask your friend if you can take care of it

4. ~
    May 8, 2010 | 10:17 am

If you are ready for the responsibility then show your parents you are. Ask them what it would take to show them you would be responsible. It might take months to show them, but they need to know you are ready and aren’t going to neglect it. Also tell them you want to adopt a cat/kitten from a shelter. You can find great cats/kittens there and you will be saving the life of a homeless cat. The cat itself doesn’t smell at all, they clean themselves all day. But the litter box can smell if you dont clean it out every day. And you can buy odor absorbing cat litter so it doesn’t smell, if regularly cleaned. Good Luck!

5. jasminetinge
    May 8, 2010 | 10:17 am

Cats are a 10-20 year commitment. After you move out and go to college she’s the one who will be cleaning up the cat box. Not to mention the cost for shots, food, and flea treatments.

6. hi-c
    May 8, 2010 | 10:17 am

cats don’t smell but their litter box does!

7. Tersa B
    May 8, 2010 | 10:17 am

Cats don’t smell. Dogs on the other hand…
    Cats keep themselves clean and the only possible smell is the litter box. You just need to clean it a couple times a week. Cats have sensitive noses that are easily offended, so they don’t want to smell bad.
    What you might want to do is find a cat rescue around you. Find a kitty who needs a good home and would fit well in your family. Show it to your mother and tell her about the cat. Write out an official-looking letter that you can sign to promise to take care of the animal.
    Also, most good cat rescues will allow you to come and meet the animals. You can show your mother what the cat lis like and how they don’t smell when kept appropriately.

8. Animaluver A
    May 8, 2010 | 10:17 am

we have 5 cats and they do not smell!!! (only if they poop!!) i want a puppy too but that is not going to happen! just tell your mom that it is the only thing you want for your birthday or christmas!! show her respect and responsibilty!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

9. faith.sisco
    May 8, 2010 | 10:17 am

The cat itself doesn’t smell but if you don’t clean the litter that will smell and if you don’t want to scoop the litter out everyday you might want to get a automatic scooping litter box and bathe the cat once a month

P.S.-Cats are a great pet

10. Suspiria Doll
    May 8, 2010 | 10:17 am

Your mother is misinformed. Cat’s do not smell. Their litter box usually smells and that’s only if you don’t change it right away. There are litter box liners, fresh step litter, arm & hammer deodorizer, etc. Numerous things you can do to keep it fresh. Explain that to her and promise that you will be willing to take care of the cat and they do not stink!!

11. Hailey...
    June 5, 2010 | 7:21 pm

I am dying for a kitten too, my mom says that she will never ever agree to getting one though ;’( … I have a puppy for almost a year and i think she would love to have a kitten to play with if im away for a bit during the day.. :) (btw cats dont smell!! )My advice would be: for every time she says something bad about cats tell her something you could do to fix the problem or something good about them!

12. Alexandra
    July 5, 2010 | 1:06 pm

I have been wanting a kitten for a long time. I have a cat, But the only reason We have her is because the cats mother went outside and had kittens. We got rid of the Mom and 2 of the other boys. Because boys spray and the mom went crazy protective and scratched up my face… So we kept the most beautiful kitten we had ever seen. She is a beautiful Calico/Tabby but she is getting a little old and she doesn’t want anything to do with me… So my mom got me a puppy 2 years ago and now all he wants to do is be with my mom! My friends cat absolutely loves me! And he loves her. He is a great cat. That made me think how much I wanted a cat that I could love, and that loved me… I took a stray kitten in a few weeks ago, I washed her, fed her, played with her, and she loved me a lot. She died from an embolism so I cried and cried. My mom didn’t mind her being in the house at all. She didn’t smell, I cleaned her littler box and She was just so quiet! My mom is fine with getting another kitten but her ass of a boyfriend said he was “reluctant” to getting a new cat. He said I take horrible care of the cat we have now and she smells and my mom disagrees. But #1.THEY DO NOT SMELL! #2. I clean the litter box every single day and feed her. #2. He keeps making up excuses to having another kitten because he absolutely DISPISES cats and animals of any kind. He is moving in with us soon and I hate him so much… I fell in love with this new born kitten online and it will be ready in a month or two. The dude who is giving it away is even going to spay her, give her all her shots/vet care, feed her, AND Drive her over. Ugh my moms boyfriend is such a Jerk-Off. Can anybody help?

13. Nikki
    November 13, 2011 | 12:51 pm

@ Alexandra. I feel for you man, my dog is always going to my mom. He was a Christmas present to me, since my old dog was getting a bit old and we didn’t know how long we would have him for so my mom got another dog behind my dads back knowing he would say no.

My dad refuses to give me another cat and my cat died about a year ago, and I still feel pain over his loss. Every time I see cute little kitties, I want one so bad but both of my parents keep on saying “no” and “no”, even though I said I would take care of her but because I hadn’t shown any responsibilty with the dog, my dad says no to the cat and it doesn’t help that he hates them.

He didn’t even want the dog, but we got one anyway. I still play with my dog and everything but he shows more affection towards my mom and I feel like if I have a cat. I would have a pet of my own. I always offer to help pay for stuff but my parents keep saying no. D:

And I’m sorry your mothers boyfriend is such a douchebag. Dx. but anyway, yeah, I don’t know what to do by convincing my dad to get a kitty. v.v; I just love cats a lot and I favor them more than dogs since they cuddle. My dog only cuddles with my mom. When I try to cuddle with my dog, he runs away. .___.

lul.
    So yes, I prefer cats over dogs.